Case study: MBA communications

The challenge

  • An MBA leadership team within a university approached me to help research and prioritise a number of improvements to their internal and external communications and then facilitate the delivery of some ‘quick wins’.
  • They were overwhelmed with their own ideas and suggestions from other people and needed an external perspective to help them move forward.

The solution

  • I initially met with the team to agree on a methodology for the research phase, which included interviews (current students, alumni and key internal stakeholders), a review of existing channels and desk research into competitor institutions.
  • After conducting the research, I summarised the findings and met with the team again to prioritise the suggestions that they wanted to take forward, taking into account resource implications and likely impact.
  • I then developed a week-by-week plan for the initial tranche of improvements and project managed the delivery of these changes, including facilitating discussions with other teams across their university.
  • I also wrote a number of profiles of recent alumni to replace some outdated ones that appeared on their website.

The result

  • The quick wins were implemented, including some easy but impactful changes to their website.
  • The new profiles were integrated into the website, which gave prospective students a better insight into the range of students who had recently graduated from the programme.
  • The team were left with a prioritised list of longer term changes to take forward.

“Thank you for guiding us through this work. It was really useful to get a 360 degree view from our stakeholders and we have made substantial progress with our communications.”

MBA leadership team