After a number of years in the higher education sector, I started working on a freelance basis in 2012. Since then, I have supported a range of internal communication, organisational change and community engagement projects. Some examples are included at the bottom of this page.
Much of my work has been with universities, charities and social businesses, helping to engage their staff, students, neighbours, supporters and other stakeholders.
While my background is in communications, I’m an organiser at heart and bring project management skills to all of my work. I can be relied on to deliver with minimum fuss, which gives busy leaders one less thing to worry about.
“Greg spread awareness of our activities and significantly increased participation. He was an integral member of our team and proactively got involved in our wider programme of work to help push our agenda forward.”
– Project colleague
I’m available for flexible assignments – long and short term – either to manage one-off pieces of work or to add extra capacity to teams. This year I am especially keen to hear from:
- Internal communications managers who are already stretched but frequently called on to support new initiatives in their organisations.
- Change programme leaders who are under pressure to engage their colleagues but don’t have anyone looking after their communications.
- Sustainability managers who are eager to communicate environmental objectives and improvements, especially before external audits.
- Community and social business leaders looking to improve the way they talk to their neighbours and stakeholders.
Please get in touch if you’d like to discuss something you’re working on. I’d be glad to help you think about what resource you might need and how I could help.
My work has included:
- Collaborating across an organisation to find new and innovative ways to celebrate investments in carbon reduction, using the communications to positively influence behaviours. (This work was subsequently commended by ISO 14001 auditors.)
- Refreshing a ‘you said, we did’ student communications campaign for a Russell Group university, including generating initial ideas, coordinating external designers and planning its roll-out across the institution.
- Managing multiple projects for a social enterprise facilitating education exchange opportunities between the UK and China.
- Leading communications for a programme to improve the way an organisation supports staff who travel and work overseas. This included the implementation of a single travel management provider.
- Auditing communications for a group of archaeologists using new technology to preserve important historical data, including suggesting a number of improvements to keep their diverse and demanding stakeholders engaged.
- Managing internal communications for a process improvement unit within a university, taking an active role as it grew from just one programme manager to a fully-staffed and in-demand office. (Case study: Communicating a business improvement project)
- Reviewing communications for a community trust tasked with engaging residents on two new housing developments in the south east, including making a number of pragmatic recommendations for how they could do more with their limited time and resource.
- Leading communications for a complex 18-month organisational restructuring programme, which achieved its aim of reducing expenditure by £10m per annum.
- Researching the experiences of website owners in a large business and developing new processes to stem the growth of its external web presence.
- Leading student and staff communications for an award-winning, campus-wide energy audit, which was subsequently replicated in universities across the country.
- Working with a university careers team to help improve the effectiveness of their student communications, including looking at behavioural change interventions to boost engagement.
- Project managing the final phase of an Intellectual Property Office-funded initiative to improve the effectiveness of social enterprises in the UK, including preparing case studies on some of the participating businesses.
Do get in touch if I can be of assistance with a project that you’re working on.